Affordable Moving Company
For Your Moving and Storage Needs
2060 N Kolmar Ave., Chicago, IL 60639

  Our Services  
  Moving Info  
 Moving Tips   
  About Us  
  Contact Us  
Service Area
  Free Estimate  

Winners from
2010 - 2013

Frequently Asked Questions about Hiring a Moving Company in Chicago

Q: What's the best way to prepare children for a move?

While there are probably as many answers to this question as there are children, here are some general tips provided by experts:

  • Talk to your children freely and often about the move and what it will mean.
  • Keep to your normal routine as much as possible.
  • Keep familiar items (toys, books, blankets, teddy bears, etc.) out in the open and available. And don't pack the pacifier!
  • If possible, take your children to your new community before the move to acquaint them with their new surroundings.
  • Above all, listen to what your children have to say, and keep communication open and honest.

Q: Why do movers sometimes put more than one household on a trailer?
A: In order to keep cost down for you. The average trailer holds from 18,000 to 24,000 pounds - the equivalent of 3 to 4 households.

Q: Can a mover transport our pets and plants to our new home?
A: The Interstate Commerce Commission allows us to move plants if the trip is less than 150 miles and under 24 hours.However, some states may want to quarantine them anyway. In the event that this should happen, we won't be able to ensure their proper care and unfortunately, cannot be held responsible for their final condition.The ICC prohibits moving companies from shipping animals pets and plants in moving vans.

Q: Am I allowed to pack my own belongings for the move?
A: You can pack your own items and save money; however, we cannot be responsible for how it is done. Therefore, if the items you pack are damaged and no exterior carton damage is evident, the responsibility for the damage is yours.

Q: What about perishable food items?
A: Perishable food items cannot be safely shipped in moving vans - please dispose of, or give them away.

Q: What are inventory exceptions?
A: When your household goods are delivered to your new home, your van operator will ask you to check off items as they are removed from the van and sign the inventory of household goods. If any items or cartons are missing or damaged, you must note this on the inventory sheet at the time of delivery. This is known as an "inventory exception" and is for your protection. Signing the inventory is a declaration that all items and cartons were received, and in the same condition as they were at origin. We don't expect you to unpack every carton before signing.

Q: What are accessorial services and what do they cost?
A: Accessorial services are any services provided to you in addition to the linehaul transportation. Your agent can fully explain the total range of services available - including: crating, packing, unpacking, appliance services, elevator, stair and long carries, or shuttle service when access to your residence is limited and a second, smaller truck is necessary.

Q: What should I do with gas in the lawnmower, leftover paint, turpentine, etc.?
A: It's against the law for movers to transport flammable and combustible materials. Safely drain, or dispose of all combustible and corrosive materials including: household paints, bleaches, propane tanks, gas cans and fuel in power equipment.

Q: What's the best way to prepare a Personal Computer for safe transport ?
A: As with any delicate piece of electronic equipment, a few precautionary measures will ensure its safe arrival. A few suggestions:
  • Make back-up copies of all your data files.
  • Remove any diskettes from the disk drives and replace them with "scratch diskettes" to park the hard drive.
  • PC's move best in their original carton.
And of course, your local computer dealer can help... that's part of their expertise.

Top of Page
Our Services | About Us | Contact Us | Feedback


   Top of the page . . .